Jan 14, 2015

Defending Tarantino


Recently, I was caught up in an argument online with a person who loathe Tarantino's works. It all started because of one post in one open social media forum, it said that "Fincher > Tarantino". I was commenting that post and said that they have different style of directing, it's only a matter of preference, but I still prefer to Quentin. And then, there was this person who said that all Tarantino's movies were about sex, drugs and violence, his movies have no real scripts, and that Quentin is only a kid playing with his father's camera DVG 575 Yashica (I didn't even know what kind of camera was that, even I, went to film school).

Well, maybe for some people, Quentin's movies are hard to be accepted by most of the viewers, but I chose to see all of his films differently.

Reservoir Dogs


for me Screenwriting 101 is that you want to deliver your scenes and acts by making the actors did things to show your plot to the audience and give a clear explanation about a scene that you're writing, if it's about an Earthquake, you want to make your viewers see a real Earthquake by making the set shaking. but no, Tarantino never do it in an usual way. He broke the rules yet people seem to enjoy his movies. Clearly, all Tarantino did in Reservoir Dogs was making the characters talk and talk and talk, telling us what happens in the movie. I think people who enjoy Reservoir Dogs are the people who choose to think smart. Tarantino leaves us with his story about diamond heist and let us think about its own story and let us make our own conclusion. not every viewer could do that!

Death Proof


I had to sit through half of the movies, and that was when the movie got interesting. I think the movie is so personal, even sometimes I didn't really get it. It's just about a man killing women and stuffs, just typical Tarantino, but I seem to enjoy the movie, eventhough it doesn't have a clear plot and even not a reason and conclusion of a character's act. You really could use this movie as a refreshment if you're bored watching usual movie that actually has a clear plot and a clear reason and conclusion in each scene. in Death Proof, all you get is excitement and suspense which is nice, for me.

Pulp Fiction


You must think Quentin and Non-Linear storytelling. I got to praise this movie! He did actually breaking a film making rule by actually following the rule. I remember, it was in my editing class (I did study film :p) and my Professor said that Quentin is one of a few directors that has a gut to break film making rule. I was in awe watching Pulp Fiction. His dialogue that was so quote-able, His non-linear storytelling but in the end, the event was actually in a neat order. After that, he just left his viewers with jaw-dropping mouth and keep asking, how this movie is yet different but totally awesome, and for his viewers' that didn't understand what just happen in the movie, Quentin did leave some quotes that is cool, so they could still follow the hype :p

So, those are all my opinions about Tarantino. Maybe that girl, who actually argue with me that Fincher is waaay better because his movie made her think, really could use her brain to actually think and see Quentin's differently. I mean, Fincher's movies are great! he's a really awesome director, but he's just different with Quentin. You can't just bash Tarantino and telling me that Tarantino is a kid playing with his father's handycam, like seriously, if he really is a kid playing with his infamous dad's camera, I think the 4 Oscars that he achieved and one Cannes Palme d'Or speak for themselves. So, think twice if you wanna argue with Tarantino's #1 fangirl :p (who also loves One Direction, mehehe) Quentin is not breaking the rules of nothing because he didn't study cinema and went to film school (as she said), he just simply go to film!

Satisfied much, now?


He's like... say whaaaat?!

No comments:

Post a Comment