Feb 15, 2014

Broadway Idiot!



I had mixed feelings when watching Broadway Idiot. A documentary film focusing on Broadway’s American Idiot behind the play. I was really hooked form the start. I don’t know whether I love the documentary or the Broadway play, but I think this is a very powerful work. You mixed rock music and brought it to Broadway, that’s a challenge. You got a whole new different audience and it sure was thrilling. As a Broadway fan myself, I find this play is unique and honest. Eventhough, I haven’t seen the play (I will), I could have these mixed feelings when watching this documentary because it showed a little bit sneak peek about the play. It’s either you want to cry so badly because it’s too awesome or you get lots of goosebumps because you just want to see it live!




Other than that, you could see the true Billie Joe Armstrong through this documentary, well a little bit. He’s a genius. I don’t know how he could come up with those lyrics that both are mean and cynical but also freaking poetic. He told us a little bit about himself in this movie, you just won’t believe that he could have such passion into Broadway which usually full of fairy-tale and tragedy theme. I’d prefer to think that was an anomaly.




Through this documentary we could watch the process of the play like when the director developed the story from a song, the making of the characters, arranged some music that has to be “more Broadway, but not too Broadway”.  You’re gonna adore all of those people behind the play, they are genius. Also the actors and actresses in this play were wonderful. This movie exposes the greatness of the play, and makes you want to book the next flight to New York City, hang around Theatre district and just wait until they have an opening night again. That’s how badly you want to watch the play after seeing this documentary.




I'd give this movie 3.5 out of 5. The movie itself was fine, well a little bit mediocre. But, it was the play that makes it powerful! *certified Broadway geek*

No comments:

Post a Comment