Feb 24, 2014

Stunning Jared Leto's Performance After A Long Hiatus



I’m catching up with the movies which has nominated for 2014 Academy Awards. One of the movies I’ve watched is Dallas Buyers Club. At first, I was a little bit surprised that Jared Leto was in this movie. I mean, didn’t he tell the media that he was retiring on acting and wanted to focus on his band, 30 seconds to mars. Apparently, he came back after a long hiatus with Dallas Buyers Club and damnit Jared, you still got the vibe. I’ve always been a big fan of him. His acting performance always enchant me, like in Requiem For A Dream or Mr. Nobody (my favorite) and in Dallas Buyers Club, he didn’t disappoint me at all.




He portrayed Rayon, a drag queen who had AIDS. Have you ever imagined Jared Leto wearing dresses and stockings tighter than mine? It was hilarious! He succesfully portrayed Rayon! I think this is his finest work. He didn’t look like Jared Leto at all. His voice and his gesture are very convincing. I probably wouldn’t notice it was Jared Leto if I hadn’t read the news. He really deserves the Golden Globe! And I really wish he would get the Oscar, though. He’s such a lucky bastard… after a long hiatus now he’s nominated for Oscar.




Other than the amazing performance of Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club had an interesting story about a hustler who tried to change the world and a very tough protagonist, Ron Woodroof portrayed by Matthew McConaughey. You could see the determination of the protagonist to move the plot. I won’t say that he was lovable, he was such a jerk. You kinda hate his character but you’d just love his guts. I mean the story based on Ron Woodroof’s effort when he tried to find the right medicine for people with HIV virus and Jean-Marc Vallee’s decision going for Matthew McConaughey was right. This movie’s strenght was the actors who portrayed those characters. The casting seemed right and you just can’t doubt that.




For the story, I had a moment when I paused it because it was too slow and too boring but I kept continue because I was curious how the protagonist would solve those problems that he had. I mean it’s fine if you wanted to watch what kind of movie that deserves to nominated for Oscar. I give this movie 3.5 out of 5, though! I was amazed by Jared & Matthew’s performances and I kinda like the story too. You should watch it if you had like 2 hours of free time.

No comments:

Post a Comment