Feb 6, 2014

Dogfight: Not A Chick-Flick Drama


I was really hooked when watching this 1991 drama romance movie, Dogfight. Probably it was because of River Phoenix, but not actually though. I recalled watching River’s movie My Own Private Idaho and I paused it so many times, but this? Not even a second. Literally a second!




The story is very simple, yeah well, it’s drama romance, and you don’t expect a complicated storyline. But I could relate to the main characters in this movie. It’s like I was really identified by them. For me, the chemistry between River and Lili Taylor was weird but I don’t know they somehow just got something that cliqued. It’s like they were perfect for each other eventhough had so many differences. River and Lili’s performaces were not that great, I mean everybody could do this, but what made them so special was their weird chemistry that I enjoyed so much. It was really sweet.




I knew this movie was directed by a female director because it was so girly and any girl who watched it could relate to it. I could feel Nancy Savoca’s feminim side. This movie was very sensitive too. I think if a male director did this, it wouldn’t be this great. It’s really obvious the main target market is mostly female and Nancy succeeded big time directing this movie! I mean, what else do you need in a drama romance other than two main characters and a sweet storyline with an explainable ending? This movie fulfilled those catagories, so yeah, it’s worth to watch if you were looking for some light movie without any of those stupid chick-flick drama. And so, here goes my verdict… 4 out of 5!!! Love it so much (I swear it’s not because of River)

No comments:

Post a Comment