Feb 7, 2014

Interesting Way To Understand Parallel Universe


To watch Donnie Darko, one must have an understanding of parallel universe and time travel. But me? I do believe in those things but didn't have a clear understanding about it until Donnie Darko gave me a clearer visual about those things after watching this movie

Set in 1988, Donnie Darko had been told by a Bunny Rabbit named Frank that universe would reach an end in about 28 days. First time I finished watching this I was just like "what the hell just happened?!" I didn't really understand what was that about. I just thought that Donnie had a schizophrenia or something. Until I googled every analysis about this movie and watched it again for the second time in the same day. Turns out, this time, I felt like Richard Kelly was genius as fuck! I mean, how come a 26 years old director could make a movie this complicated? Well, I've never watched any scifi movie that could fuck your mind up like this and it took place in a normal world, not a star trek world or any of those made up world.




The screenplay was really well-written! Richard Kelly succesfully built the story and the links between the characters. he even made up a new theory about parallel universe. This movie was an interesting way to understand about time travel and parallel universe. Richard Kelly had to make a fake book about Philosophy of Time Travel to guide us through the movie, so we can understand what he really meant. You wouldn't realize that it took place in parallel universe or in this movie called tangent universe, until Donnie found the existance of the book. And if you wanted to watch Donnie Darko for the first time, here's my advice... "PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT WAS WRITTEN IN THE BOOK". Otherwise, you'd have to watch the whole movie again for the second time and read the analysis, well, like me. Also I think it would be better to watch the director's cut version because it has a clearer explanation about everything that Richard Kelly meant to tell. Most of the actions have explainable reasons, alhtought some of the action that Kelly made still left vague. But, that's okay, because sometimes you don't really need a detailed explanation and you just like it to be a mystery. That's what I feel about Donnie Darko.




Donnie Darko tempted me to learn more about time travel and parallel universe which I believe is real. I really want to say a big big thanks to Richard Kelly for making this movie. I felt like.... how do I put this, open a new horizon for me? (what? That's a weird saying). Anyway, Jack Gylenhaal's performance was convincing too as a teenager with troubled behaviour. I recalled reading an article about how Jack feels about Donnie Darko and he kinda said this... "yeah, I don't really know, what do you think?" He asked back! It means he didn't really understand it as a teenage boy who played Donnie, but he played it incredibly well. That's amazing, right? How the hell he did that?




If you already watched Donnie Darko and might not really understand what that was about. Well, like me. Don't be shy. There are two ways to resolve this. one, watch it again and try to understand it and two, I suggest you visit this link: http://www.salon.com/2004/07/23/darko. It'll help you a lot!

And here goes my verdict for Donnie Darko..... 5 out of 5!!!! No doubt!

No comments:

Post a Comment