Jan 19, 2014

The Cobbler, The Coffee & The Scotch


Based on a play by Yasmina Reza, Carnage is a talkish film. To solve their problem, the characters just talked, talked and talked to find the solution. You gotta trust Roman Polanski about talkish film, he's the expert! I remember watched The Ghost Writer, I slept for minutes because I think some of it was boring (sorry) but, Carnage, I enjoy my 1 and half hours of conversation of 4 parents who tried to solve their kids' problem.



Set in The Longstreet's house in New York, I think, this movie divided into three segments which I called: The Cobbler, The Coffee and The Scotch. There are three main problems they talked about in this movie. It's like secretly watching a play and divided into some acts. Each segment had different problems and you're gonna be surprise how Polanski just changed his charatcters' behaviour.




I gotta give standing ovation for the actors! They are great!! They moved the plot only with talk to each other and changing their characters easily. They have to play their roles right and make their characters interesting and believing. Jodie Foster, John C. Reilly, Kate Winslet and Christoph Waltz really are Oscar Nominee Guarantees. They really know their characters and they give their best performance. This movie's main strength are the characters and the screenplay. both are outstanding!

If I'm gonna rate this movie, probably 4.5 out of 5. it is difficult to make a movie based on a play without making the same exact style as the play. I think Polanski succeed to adapt this play to a movie, it's not easy to make a movie when there are only 4 active characters and only have one set all along the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment