Jan 30, 2014

My Own Private "Potato State"


I wanted to watch My Own Private Idaho badly because I’m like having a huge crush on River Phoenix. Turns out this Gus Van Sant’s film is a little bit confusing. He presented the introduction of each character too long and it was like watching a play rather than a movie. There were one set and the characters just talked to each other about something that I didn’t really understand at first, but then, I seemed like slowly getting what they really meant.


The first half of the movie, I was really trying to survive to continue watching this because of River. Then, the second half, I was finally getting the problem what the characters really wanted to solve. This movie needs every patience you have if you really wanted to finish it. In the second half, Gus Van Sant finally explained to us the relationship between Scott and Mike, and it was really sweet. River Phoenix and Keanu Reeves really had the chemistry to play two bestfriends that really care about each other. I really love how Gus Van Sant built the chemistry between them. And River’s performance at first might seemed kinda dull but if you kept watching you’re gonna be amazed! He was just so good and natural portraying any character.


I kinda disappointed about the ending, though. Gus Van Sant didn’t solve the problem that he threw to us. It was like a hit and run, you know. You’d better give me a complete solution or an open ending at least. This was like an open ending, but I just didn’t like how it just ended like there was nothing to answer anymore , meanwhile I still have a lot of questions about the movie and maybe he thought that it was okay for the viewers but it is not okay for me because most of my wish wasn't fulfilled. My rating for My Own Private Idaho is 3 out of 5!! This movie just makes me even sadder and wondering why River had to leave us that quick. 

Oh, one more, Keanu and River said Hi :p


No comments:

Post a Comment